`Team Anna, don`t try to be super constitutional`
New Delhi: BJP on Monday hit out at Team Anna for seeking an independent probe into allegations made by it against UPA presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee before he contests the poll, saying it should not try to become a "super constitutional authority".
"No one should attempt to become a super constitutional authority by compelling anybody before contesting election to take a no-objection certificate from them. It is unfortunate that such types of sweeping statements are given, which do not bode well for their cause," BJP vice president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said here today.
Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal had yesterday targetted Mukherjee, saying the candidate for the highest constitutional post and the person adorning the top office must be "above board", while another team member Manish Sisodia wanted the allegations against Mukherjee to be investigated.
While making it clear that they were neither in support nor against Mukherjee, Naqvi said there exists a law and a Constitutional system to look into complaints and the law will take its own course if anything is wrong.
"It is not possible to take an NOC from civil society before contesting any election...It is not appropriate to make such type of statements," Naqvi said.
The BJP leader said those contesting elections are already filing affidavits while making their nominations which are subject to scrutiny by various government departments and anything mentioned wrongly will be looked into by these government departments and action taken thereof.
Team Anna had made graft allegations against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Mukherjee and 13 others last month and demanded setting up of a special investigation team, which was rejected by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered