Team Anna eyes Delhi assembly polls
New Delhi: After their campaign in recent assembly polls in five states, Team Anna on Sunday announced that the Delhi assembly polls due next year will be their fresh target and asked supporters to start preparations for the "crucial election" in the national capital.
"The assembly polls will be held in Delhi next year. We have to get ready for the important fight in the country`s national capital," key Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said addressing the gathering at Anna Hazare`s one-day hunger strike here.
The assembly polls in Delhi is slated for November next year.
Without taking name of any political party, Bedi said the existing Lokayukta in Delhi was very weak and people will have to vote for a party which commits for a strong and effective Lokpal Bill.
"Delhi Lokayukta is not strong. It is very weak. We will have to vote for right people. We will have to vote for a party which supports a strong and effective Lokpal. We should start preparation for the polls," she said.
She wondered whether the Congress government in Delhi, it supports enactment of a strong Lokpal law and asked Team Anna supporters to put all the hard work to ensure that right party and candidates win in the polls.
Asking the supporters to remain united in the fight against corruption, she told them of the "responsibility to ensuring victory of the right people.
"We are responsible for brining criminals to parliament and state legislatures. We must wake up now and vote for the right candidate even if he or she is an Independent. If right people come, then right law will be enacted.
"Often they (the MPs and MLAs) challenge us saying `who are you to question us. People have elected us`. So we must be cautious in electing right people," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’