Team Anna eyes Delhi assembly polls
New Delhi: After their campaign in recent assembly polls in five states, Team Anna on Sunday announced that the Delhi assembly polls due next year will be their fresh target and asked supporters to start preparations for the "crucial election" in the national capital.
"The assembly polls will be held in Delhi next year. We have to get ready for the important fight in the country`s national capital," key Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said addressing the gathering at Anna Hazare`s one-day hunger strike here.
The assembly polls in Delhi is slated for November next year.
Without taking name of any political party, Bedi said the existing Lokayukta in Delhi was very weak and people will have to vote for a party which commits for a strong and effective Lokpal Bill.
"Delhi Lokayukta is not strong. It is very weak. We will have to vote for right people. We will have to vote for a party which supports a strong and effective Lokpal. We should start preparation for the polls," she said.
She wondered whether the Congress government in Delhi, it supports enactment of a strong Lokpal law and asked Team Anna supporters to put all the hard work to ensure that right party and candidates win in the polls.
Asking the supporters to remain united in the fight against corruption, she told them of the "responsibility to ensuring victory of the right people.
"We are responsible for brining criminals to parliament and state legislatures. We must wake up now and vote for the right candidate even if he or she is an Independent. If right people come, then right law will be enacted.
"Often they (the MPs and MLAs) challenge us saying `who are you to question us. People have elected us`. So we must be cautious in electing right people," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'