Team Anna fail to draw crowds at Ramlila Maidan
New Delhi: Team Anna`s protest against a
"weak" Lokpal Bill remained a damp squib for the second day
on Wednesday as supporters refused to be drawn to Ramlila Maidan.
Security personnel were more visible as barely 200 people
gathered at the 30,000-capacity Maidan here this morning and
even prominent Team Anna members were conspicuous by their
This is in sharp contrast to the 30,000 to 40,000 people
who had poured in during Anna Hazare`s fast at this venue in
August. His two other fasts at Jantar Mantar in the past eight
months had also witnessed a large turnout.
Organisers attributed the thin crowd to winter chill and
absence of Anna Hazare.
The protest was scheduled to start at 10 am but even
after an hour, the Ramlila Maidan wore a deserted look with a
handful of supporters.
Recorded music was played at the venue with the
supporters waving tricolour and launching into sporadic
sloganeering against government.
The protest had elicited a lukewarm response yesterday
with the programme starting with a low 500 turnout. This
morning the numbers dwindled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet