Team Anna fail to draw crowds at Ramlila Maidan
New Delhi: Team Anna`s protest against a
"weak" Lokpal Bill remained a damp squib for the second day
on Wednesday as supporters refused to be drawn to Ramlila Maidan.
Security personnel were more visible as barely 200 people
gathered at the 30,000-capacity Maidan here this morning and
even prominent Team Anna members were conspicuous by their
This is in sharp contrast to the 30,000 to 40,000 people
who had poured in during Anna Hazare`s fast at this venue in
August. His two other fasts at Jantar Mantar in the past eight
months had also witnessed a large turnout.
Organisers attributed the thin crowd to winter chill and
absence of Anna Hazare.
The protest was scheduled to start at 10 am but even
after an hour, the Ramlila Maidan wore a deserted look with a
handful of supporters.
Recorded music was played at the venue with the
supporters waving tricolour and launching into sporadic
sloganeering against government.
The protest had elicited a lukewarm response yesterday
with the programme starting with a low 500 turnout. This
morning the numbers dwindled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what