Team Anna fail to draw crowds at Ramlila Maidan
New Delhi: Team Anna`s protest against a
"weak" Lokpal Bill remained a damp squib for the second day
on Wednesday as supporters refused to be drawn to Ramlila Maidan.
Security personnel were more visible as barely 200 people
gathered at the 30,000-capacity Maidan here this morning and
even prominent Team Anna members were conspicuous by their
This is in sharp contrast to the 30,000 to 40,000 people
who had poured in during Anna Hazare`s fast at this venue in
August. His two other fasts at Jantar Mantar in the past eight
months had also witnessed a large turnout.
Organisers attributed the thin crowd to winter chill and
absence of Anna Hazare.
The protest was scheduled to start at 10 am but even
after an hour, the Ramlila Maidan wore a deserted look with a
handful of supporters.
Recorded music was played at the venue with the
supporters waving tricolour and launching into sporadic
sloganeering against government.
The protest had elicited a lukewarm response yesterday
with the programme starting with a low 500 turnout. This
morning the numbers dwindled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy