Team Anna humiliated us: Lalu
New Delhi: Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader Lalu Prasad Yadav on Saturday said Anna Hazare took advantage of his arrest.
Speaking in the Lok Sabha during discussion on a suo motu statement by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Hazare`s demands related to the anti-graft Lokpal Bill, the RJD leader said he respected Annaji, but Team Anna has continued to humiliate us (leaders).
Angry with Kiran Bedi for her theatrics on stage at Ramlila Maidan on Friday, Lalu said Anna Hazare was being misled by the people surrounding him, including former top cop Kiran Bedi who was eyeing polls.
Bedi, to the great amusement of the crowd, had on Friday pulled a scarf from the neck of a young activist on stage, wrapped her head with it like a `ghunghat` (veil) and mocked MPs and their "double-faced utterances".
"Anna is being misled by the people around him. Kiran Bediji, if you want to contest the elections, go," the former Bihar chief minister said in his inimitable style and invited bouts of laughter frequently during his speech.
Looking towards the treasury benches, he said she (Bedi) was "fit candidate" against Kapil Sibal who represents Chandni Chowk Lok Sabha constituency.
Lalu Prasad also took a dig at Hazare`s aide Arvind Kejriwal for trying to dictate the draft legislation on Parliament. "Kejriwal is teaching us. Tell him standing committee is a mini-Parliament."
Former Bihar CM also appealed to MPs not to allow subversion of Parliament as it will ring the death knell of democracy in the country.
"We won`t allow the supremacy of Parliament to be moved by an inch," he said.
Pointing out that the MPs and the entire nation had great respect for Hazare, Lalu Prasad wished him a long and healthy life.
In a lighter vein, he asked MPs to learn "from Anna how to go without food for 12 days at the age of 74".
He then claimed that he would run three kilometres. "Doctors should research and write a book to reveal the secret behind Annaji`s stamina for standing such a long hunger strike."
Looking towards the media gallery, he also asked journalists to "save democracy, save the nation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls