Team Anna questions Delhi Police`s independence
New Delhi: Team Anna on Thursday questioned the independence of the Delhi Police, asking whether its chief took an independent decision on the midnight swoop on Baba Ramdev`s followers at Ramlila ground here last June.
"The question is whether the Delhi Police Commissioner took an independent decision. They have to answer whether they took action at the behest of the Union Home Ministry and whether it was a verbal or written order from the ministry," said team Anna member Kiran Bedi ON Thursday.
Social activist Anna Hazare said that the judiciary`s statements must be obeyed.
The Supreme Court Thursday slammed the Delhi Police for acting in an arbitrary manner and using excessive force in disbursing Baba Ramdev and his followers from the Ramlila ground here last year. It also pulled up the yoga guru for not cooperating with police.
The court said that what happened at the sprawling ground on the night of June 4-5, leading to the death of a woman, Raj Bala, was a demonstration of the might of the state. It also directed Baba Ramdev`s trust to bear 25 percent cost of the compensation.
"I am happy with the Supreme Court verdict, but we don`t want 25 percent compensation (for the death of Raj Bala) which Baba Ramdev has been directed to provide us," said the Raj Bala`s husband.
However, he said that he is happy with the court`s decision for action against erring police officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder