Team Anna to support Centre`s Lokpal: Agnivesh
Guwahati: Stressing that the UPA government
must discuss the draft of the Lokpal Bill in Parliament early
next month during the monsoon session, social activist Swami
Agnivesh on Thursday said team Anna would support the Centre if it
introduces a "strong" draft of the proposed law.
"We hope that the government would put up the draft in
the first week of August. We will support the UPA government`s
move. If the government does not introduce the bill as we have
proposed, under leadership of Anna (Hazare) a movement will be
started across the country to put moral pressure and peoples`
pressure on the government," he said.
Agnivesh also urged the people of Assam to recall their
representatives from Parliament if they fail to take up for
discussion the draft prepared by team Anna.
"If the government does not introduce the bill as we have
proposed, then I appeal to the people of Assam to recall
through a peaceful movement the people they have sent as their
representatives to Parliament," he said.
"Otherwise, hundreds of communications will be sent daily
through phones, emails and letters to educate the peoples`
representatives vis-a-vis the Lokpal Bill," Agnivesh said.
Alleging that there was "mega corruption" in the
construction of dams in Assam in which political leaders were
involved, Agnivesh promised to take to the rest of the country
and at the international level the concerns of the people
here about the coming up of big dams in the state.
He also said a campaign would be launched for "village
parliaments" in each of the seven lakh villages across the
"We, on behalf of the people, want to tell the members of
Parliament that the people are supreme and not they. The MPs
should realise they are the peoples` servants and should not
think they are greater than the people," Agnivesh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter