Team Anna trying to `dictate` terms to Parl: Roy
Kochi: National Advisory Council member Aruna
Roy on Sunday said the Jan Lokpal Bill campaign against corruption
was an attempt by Team Anna to "dictate" terms to Parliament,
which she described as an "organised attack" on those who
"We can only persuade Parliament, not dictate terms to
it," Roy, who leads the National Campaign for Peoples Right to
Information (NCPRI), told reporters here.
"We agree people want change. What has disturbed us
greatly in the whole Ramlila mobilisation is they (Team Anna)
are saying only their Jan lokpal should be accepted. There is
an intolerance of dissent on their part. We cannot say you
don`t have the right to dissent," she said.
Roy said, "We see an organised attack on those who express
The bill does not address corruption as a whole as it
leaves out this malady in politics, party, corporate and
religious institutions, she said.
She termed as completely unnecessary, the breach of
privilege notice of Parliament against some key Team Anna
members. "We think in the present climate, we must reduce
this. Action can be taken against then under IPC," she said.
NCPRI convenor Nikhil Dey said they were not against
Prime Minister being brought under the ambit of Jan Lokpal
bill. "The Prime Minister should be included with certain
conditions," Dey said.
He said the Judicial Accountability and Standards Bill
currently before Parliament must ensure that judiciary is also
made effectively and appropriately accountable without
compromising its independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- In or out? Did Sidhu really quit BJP and join AAP!
- Rajnath Singh sends out stern message to Pakistan, says 'we don't need third party in Kashmir'
- Declare India a 'Hindu state', says Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!