Team Anna`s political ambitions out in open: Soni
New Delhi: Minutes after social activist Anna Hazare said that people of the country should be given a “political alternative”, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni on Thursday said that it`s good that Team Anna`s political intentions are out in open.
"We were saying this from first day that Team Anna is inspired by politics. It`s good that their intentions are out in the open. It`s best they come out and be part of the same system they abuse always.”
“If they call off their fast, it`s a good thing. Don`t hold government to ransom. They have made their point and accusing the government of not bringing Lokpal is not true. It`s passed in Lok Sabha and its now with Select Committee," the Congress leader added.
In the meantime, Anna announced that he and his team will end the indefinite fast on Lokpal Bill and other demands on Friday at 5 pm.
Meanwhile, CPI (M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury has said that Team Anna must contest elections.
Earlier in the day, Anna, who’s fast entered fifth day today, said that he will not join politics but will give a political alternative from outside. “If a political party needs to be formed to bring change in the country, then so be it,” he said.
“In a true democracy, power should be in the hands of the people,” he said while asking the citizens of the country to “dislodge leaders who don’t give into people’s demand.”
Seeking people’s view on the issue, Anna said that there is nothing wrong in forming a political party as it seems to be the only option left to ensure that right people get elected to the Parliament.
Team Anna member Kiran Bedi also tweeted: “Anna wants to take us to a society where there`s no corruption. Don`t we all want that?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28