Team Anna`s political ambitions out in open: Soni
New Delhi: Minutes after social activist Anna Hazare said that people of the country should be given a “political alternative”, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni on Thursday said that it`s good that Team Anna`s political intentions are out in open.
"We were saying this from first day that Team Anna is inspired by politics. It`s good that their intentions are out in the open. It`s best they come out and be part of the same system they abuse always.”
“If they call off their fast, it`s a good thing. Don`t hold government to ransom. They have made their point and accusing the government of not bringing Lokpal is not true. It`s passed in Lok Sabha and its now with Select Committee," the Congress leader added.
In the meantime, Anna announced that he and his team will end the indefinite fast on Lokpal Bill and other demands on Friday at 5 pm.
Meanwhile, CPI (M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury has said that Team Anna must contest elections.
Earlier in the day, Anna, who’s fast entered fifth day today, said that he will not join politics but will give a political alternative from outside. “If a political party needs to be formed to bring change in the country, then so be it,” he said.
“In a true democracy, power should be in the hands of the people,” he said while asking the citizens of the country to “dislodge leaders who don’t give into people’s demand.”
Seeking people’s view on the issue, Anna said that there is nothing wrong in forming a political party as it seems to be the only option left to ensure that right people get elected to the Parliament.
Team Anna member Kiran Bedi also tweeted: “Anna wants to take us to a society where there`s no corruption. Don`t we all want that?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured