Team Anna`s political ambitions out in open: Soni
New Delhi: Minutes after social activist Anna Hazare said that people of the country should be given a “political alternative”, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni on Thursday said that it`s good that Team Anna`s political intentions are out in open.
"We were saying this from first day that Team Anna is inspired by politics. It`s good that their intentions are out in the open. It`s best they come out and be part of the same system they abuse always.”
“If they call off their fast, it`s a good thing. Don`t hold government to ransom. They have made their point and accusing the government of not bringing Lokpal is not true. It`s passed in Lok Sabha and its now with Select Committee," the Congress leader added.
In the meantime, Anna announced that he and his team will end the indefinite fast on Lokpal Bill and other demands on Friday at 5 pm.
Meanwhile, CPI (M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury has said that Team Anna must contest elections.
Earlier in the day, Anna, who’s fast entered fifth day today, said that he will not join politics but will give a political alternative from outside. “If a political party needs to be formed to bring change in the country, then so be it,” he said.
“In a true democracy, power should be in the hands of the people,” he said while asking the citizens of the country to “dislodge leaders who don’t give into people’s demand.”
Seeking people’s view on the issue, Anna said that there is nothing wrong in forming a political party as it seems to be the only option left to ensure that right people get elected to the Parliament.
Team Anna member Kiran Bedi also tweeted: “Anna wants to take us to a society where there`s no corruption. Don`t we all want that?”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city