Teenager killing: police questions 10 BSF jawans
Srinagar: Police on Monday questioned some BSF
personnel to ascertain the series of events that led to the
killing of a teenaged boy, which triggered widespread protests
At least 10 BSF jawans were interrogated by police about
different events that led to the killing of 16-year-old Zahid
Farooq Shah at Brain-Nishat here, allegedly shot dead by
constable Lakhwinder Kumar, official sources said.
The constable is understood to have told the Jammu and
Kashmir police that he had opened fire under the orders of
Commandant R K Birdi, which he has denied.
Following Kumar`s allegation, the Union Home Ministry has
issued suspension order for Birdi, Commandant of the 68th
Battalion, who has been confined to the local headquarters
pending an inquiry by an officer of the rank of Inspector
Shah was shot dead on February 5 at Brain-Nishat. Kumar
has already been placed under suspension.
The force has kept all its personnel who were there
during the time of the incident, including the Commandant, at
separate centres during the period of General Court of Enquiry
being conducted by the paramilitary force. The step was taken
so that the probe was not hampered.
Kumar has been sent to eight-day police remand by the
Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar on February 11.
Shah`s killing was strongly protested by the local people
for almost a week demanding action against the guilty. Shops,
business establishments, banks, courts and private offices
remained closed and vehicles were off the roads for six days.
The family of the slain teenager has already accused the
BSF of making the constable a scapegoat to save a senior
"We are not satisfied with the arrest of the constable
as eyewitnesses told us that an officer of the force actually
shot Zahid in the chest after snatching the rifle from one of
the jawans," Farooq Ahmad, father of the victim, had said.
The state government has also ordered a probe into the
incident and said stern action would be taken against the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing