Tehelka case: Chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal within 45 days, says Goa CM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that the chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal, arrested for sexually assaulting a woman colleague last month at Tehelka magazine’s Think fest in a hotel here, will be filed within 45 days. Parrikar added that his government will ensure justice, even to Tejpal.
Last week, a Goa Sessions Court rejected the anticipatory bail plea of the founder-editor of Tehelka magazine and subsequently gave permission to the Goa police to arrest him.
Parrikar had also earlier questioned Tejpal whether he was a "Congress stooge". Today, Tejpal was taken for a second round of medical tests as a part of investigation. In his previous medical test the officials at the Goa Medical College said the potency test was positive.
Tejpal is remanded in six days custody of Goa police, which took him to the hotel on Monday where the alleged incident occurred.
However, Tejpal is still maintaining that he is innocent and that the encounter with the young journalist was consensual.
Meanwhile, the victim has quit the Tehelka magazine and said that what Tejpal did amount to rape. "Whatever happened to victim was falling under the definition of rape. This offence is chargeable as life imprisonment," lawyer Abha Singh had said.
Meanwhile, the Goa Police investigating the case against Tejpal submitted its status report to the Union Home Ministry today, giving details of the probe carried out so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read