Tehelka case: Chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal within 45 days, says Goa CM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that the chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal, arrested for sexually assaulting a woman colleague last month at Tehelka magazine’s Think fest in a hotel here, will be filed within 45 days. Parrikar added that his government will ensure justice, even to Tejpal.
Last week, a Goa Sessions Court rejected the anticipatory bail plea of the founder-editor of Tehelka magazine and subsequently gave permission to the Goa police to arrest him.
Parrikar had also earlier questioned Tejpal whether he was a "Congress stooge". Today, Tejpal was taken for a second round of medical tests as a part of investigation. In his previous medical test the officials at the Goa Medical College said the potency test was positive.
Tejpal is remanded in six days custody of Goa police, which took him to the hotel on Monday where the alleged incident occurred.
However, Tejpal is still maintaining that he is innocent and that the encounter with the young journalist was consensual.
Meanwhile, the victim has quit the Tehelka magazine and said that what Tejpal did amount to rape. "Whatever happened to victim was falling under the definition of rape. This offence is chargeable as life imprisonment," lawyer Abha Singh had said.
Meanwhile, the Goa Police investigating the case against Tejpal submitted its status report to the Union Home Ministry today, giving details of the probe carried out so far.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case