Tehelka case: Chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal within 45 days, says Goa CM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that the chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal, arrested for sexually assaulting a woman colleague last month at Tehelka magazine’s Think fest in a hotel here, will be filed within 45 days. Parrikar added that his government will ensure justice, even to Tejpal.
Last week, a Goa Sessions Court rejected the anticipatory bail plea of the founder-editor of Tehelka magazine and subsequently gave permission to the Goa police to arrest him.
Parrikar had also earlier questioned Tejpal whether he was a "Congress stooge". Today, Tejpal was taken for a second round of medical tests as a part of investigation. In his previous medical test the officials at the Goa Medical College said the potency test was positive.
Tejpal is remanded in six days custody of Goa police, which took him to the hotel on Monday where the alleged incident occurred.
However, Tejpal is still maintaining that he is innocent and that the encounter with the young journalist was consensual.
Meanwhile, the victim has quit the Tehelka magazine and said that what Tejpal did amount to rape. "Whatever happened to victim was falling under the definition of rape. This offence is chargeable as life imprisonment," lawyer Abha Singh had said.
Meanwhile, the Goa Police investigating the case against Tejpal submitted its status report to the Union Home Ministry today, giving details of the probe carried out so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida