Tehelka case: Chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal within 45 days, says Goa CM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that the chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal, arrested for sexually assaulting a woman colleague last month at Tehelka magazine’s Think fest in a hotel here, will be filed within 45 days. Parrikar added that his government will ensure justice, even to Tejpal.
Last week, a Goa Sessions Court rejected the anticipatory bail plea of the founder-editor of Tehelka magazine and subsequently gave permission to the Goa police to arrest him.
Parrikar had also earlier questioned Tejpal whether he was a "Congress stooge". Today, Tejpal was taken for a second round of medical tests as a part of investigation. In his previous medical test the officials at the Goa Medical College said the potency test was positive.
Tejpal is remanded in six days custody of Goa police, which took him to the hotel on Monday where the alleged incident occurred.
However, Tejpal is still maintaining that he is innocent and that the encounter with the young journalist was consensual.
Meanwhile, the victim has quit the Tehelka magazine and said that what Tejpal did amount to rape. "Whatever happened to victim was falling under the definition of rape. This offence is chargeable as life imprisonment," lawyer Abha Singh had said.
Meanwhile, the Goa Police investigating the case against Tejpal submitted its status report to the Union Home Ministry today, giving details of the probe carried out so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen