Tehelka case: Chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal within 45 days, says Goa CM
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday said that the chargesheet against Tarun Tejpal, arrested for sexually assaulting a woman colleague last month at Tehelka magazine’s Think fest in a hotel here, will be filed within 45 days. Parrikar added that his government will ensure justice, even to Tejpal.
Last week, a Goa Sessions Court rejected the anticipatory bail plea of the founder-editor of Tehelka magazine and subsequently gave permission to the Goa police to arrest him.
Parrikar had also earlier questioned Tejpal whether he was a "Congress stooge". Today, Tejpal was taken for a second round of medical tests as a part of investigation. In his previous medical test the officials at the Goa Medical College said the potency test was positive.
Tejpal is remanded in six days custody of Goa police, which took him to the hotel on Monday where the alleged incident occurred.
However, Tejpal is still maintaining that he is innocent and that the encounter with the young journalist was consensual.
Meanwhile, the victim has quit the Tehelka magazine and said that what Tejpal did amount to rape. "Whatever happened to victim was falling under the definition of rape. This offence is chargeable as life imprisonment," lawyer Abha Singh had said.
Meanwhile, the Goa Police investigating the case against Tejpal submitted its status report to the Union Home Ministry today, giving details of the probe carried out so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- British PM to trigger EU pull-out `without parliament vote`
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires