Tehelka case: Tarun Tejpal barred from leaving country, victim`s statement recorded
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Goa police on Tuesday issued an "immigration checkpost alert" against the former editor of Tehelka, Tarun Tejpal, barring him from leaving the country after a young journalist in the news magazine said that he sexually assaulted her in an elevator at a Goa resort.
The alert issued at airports and ports restricts Tejpal from leaving the country.
Reacting to the accusations, Tejpal today said that the charges being made against him were "politically motivated" and what transpired between him and the victim was nothing but "light-hearted banter."
Tejpal further said that the victim was normal after the incident and even partied the whole night.
He even accused Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar of taking undue interest in the case. Tejpal said that the allegations are being made at the behest of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as it is biased against him.
Meanwhile, the Delhi court today refused to grant interim protection from arrest to Tejpal and deferred the hearing till Wednesday. Tejpal had moved court and filed anticipatory bail.
Earlier today, a team of Goa police reached Mumbai and recorded the statement of the victim who may now travel to Goa to record her statement before the magistrate.
The mother of the victim filed a complaint in Delhi against an immediate family member of Tejpal alleging "intimidation." On Saturday, the young journalist had said that she was being pressurised in the case.
The matter came to light after the victim in her complaint to Chaudhury had said that Tejpal had sexually assaulted her twice in the elevator in a five star resort during the high-profile ThinkFest conference on November 7-8.
The victim is daughter of a former colleague of Tejpal, who has recused himself from his post as editor after being accused of sexual assault by the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea