Tehelka case: Tejpal should be punished if found guilty, says Mehbooba Mufti
Srinagar: Mehbooba Mufti, president of opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP), said here Friday that Tehelka founder and editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal should be made an example of, if he is proven guilty of the sexual abuse accusation levelled against him.
Speaking to media persons here, Mufti said if proven guilty of sexual abuse, the most stringent punishment should be handed down to Tejpal.
"There are many people in political parties against whom parties have taken no action even after serious charges of crimes against women were raised against them," she said.
"This is happening despite the fact that women are very powerful in political parties across the board. Sonia Gandhi, Mayawati, Sushma Swaraj, Sheila Dikshit and many others are powerful women in their parties," Mufti noted.
"Despite this, political parties have been ignoring action against members accused of serious crimes against women," the PDP president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why