Tehelka sexual assault case: Suggestion for in-house probe accused-friendly approach, says BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday said suggestions that the victim in Tarun Tejpal alleged sexual assault case can opt for an in-house inquiry by Tehelka and not go for a criminal probe is an "accused-friendly" approach and insisted the two options should complement each other instead of being alternatives.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley issued a statement on the issue and emphasised that everybody should encourage victims to depose "truly and faithfully" as punishing an offender acts as a deterrant in the larger interest of society.
Referring to debates in various news channels on the Tejpal issue, Jaitley said "regretfully, some participants provided an escape route for the accused. They argued that the victim has a freedom of choice whether to pursue her complaint before the in-house inquiry or pursue the criminal investigation."
Tehelka has constituted a committee to look into the alleged sexual harrasment of a journalist by its editor Tarun Tejpal in Goa around ten days ago.
The eminent lawyer claimed a criminal offence is not just a crime against a victim but also a crime against society.
"This is precisely why the `State` pursues a criminal action. The public exchequer pays for it. There is a larger public interest in punishing a criminal. A departmental or an in-house inquiry and a criminal trial complement each other. They are not alternatives," Jaitley said.
"Public interest must always prevail over private embarrassments. The `alternative option` theory is an accused-friendly approach," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees