Tejas successfully test fires Chaff and Flares
Bangalore: After the successful release of
another R-73 missile, the test aircraft Tejas LSP-4 today test
fired `Chaff and Flares` from the indigenously designed
Counter Measure Dispensing System (CMDS).
Chaff is a collection of fine fibre-coated aluminium
particles released from the fighter aircraft for passive
jamming of the enemy air-borne radar.
Flares are high intensity Infra Red (IR) source fired
from the fighter aircraft, which acts as a passive jammer to
the on-coming heat seeking enemy missile and deviates it away
from the target aircraft, a DRDO release said.
Today`s test firing assumes significance as this is the
first time indigenously developed CMDS was integrated and
tested on an indigenous fighter aircraft with Open
Architecture Mission Computer and Digital Stores Management
The release and trajectory of these stores were closely
monitored by another Tejas chase aircraft flown in close
proximity of the test aircraft.
Visual observation supported by analysis of video
recording of the event indicated that the trial was
successful, meeting the stipulated design requirements of the
The test was the culmination of a long journey of Tejas
from a fledgling fighter aircraft to a full blown weapon
system with passive missile and radar jamming capabilities.
Tejas detachment has been operating from INS Hansa in
Goa, conducting the last phase of flight trials before release
to service by the year end. It test-fired one R-73 air to air
close combat missile on November 30,the release said.
The CMDS was developed by Bharath Dynamics Ltd (BDL),
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?