Tejinder Singh moves SC against Army Chief
New Delhi: After filing a criminal defamation case against Gen VK Singh, Lt Gen (retd) Tejinder Singh on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe against the Army Chief.
In his petition, the retired Lt Gen said that he fears that his phones were tapped at the behest of the Army Chief and hence wants the CBI to probe the same.
Last week, a Delhi court had reserved, for April 26, its order on summoning Army Chief Gen VK Singh and four others named as accused in a criminal defamation case filed by Tejinder Singh, who had denied having made Rs 14 crore bribe offer to him to strike a defence deal.
As per reports, the CBI is likely to meet retired Lt Gen Tejinder Singh later this week in connection with the bribe complaint.
Tejinder Singh, a former director general of defence intelligence agency, had filed defamation complaint against the Army Chief and four other Army officials trashing the allegations that he had offered the bribe for clearing a deal for 600 "sub-standard" vehicles.
Besides the Army Chief, he has named Vice Chief of Army Staff SK Singh, Lt Gen BS Thakur (DG MI), Major General S L Narshiman (Additional Director General of Public Information) and Lt Col Hitten Sawhney posted in the media cell, accusing them of misusing their official positions, power and authority to level false charges against him.
Tejinder Singh had contended that all the five formed a direct chain of command with the Army chief being the final arbiter.
The Army Chief in his recent meeting with CBI had assured them that he would provide some "clinching" evidence to buttress his complaint that Singh had allegedly offered him a bribe to clear supply of a tranche of all-terrain vehicles.
The agency, which has registered a preliminary enquiry in connection with complaint submitted by the Army Chief, is relying on three documents -- visitor`s register, Record of Discussion of Army and documents related to Tatra.
The agency now needs the version of Tejinder Singh about the meeting which took place on September 22, 2010 at the Army Chief`s office. Tejinder Singh has refuted the allegations against him and even filed a defamation case against the Army Chief and other senior officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti
- Performance issues led to my ouster as Flipkart CEO, says Sachin Bansal