Tejinder Singh`s links with businessman under CBI scanner
New Delhi: The links of Lt Gen (Retd) Tejinder Singh and Vectra Chairman Ravinder Rishi with a businessman are under scanner of the CBI which questioned the two in the case of alleged bribe offer made to the then Army chief Gen VK Singh for clearing tranche of substandard Tatra BEML trucks.
CBI sources said besides Singh and Rishi, two Delhi-based businessmen and two executives of Vectra--Managing Director Anil Mansharamani and Chief Financial Officer Vikram Kakaiya-- were questioned in detail at the agency headquarters.
The agency during its six-month long preliminary investigation has found prima facie evidence of links between Tejinder Singh and Ravinder Rishi, who is also a Director in Tatra Sipox UK--the company which was supplying allegedly substandard trucks, they alleged.
The sources said during its probe the name of a businessman having interests in pharmaceutical sector and his relative, who owned a leading pub in a five-star hotel, also cropped up and their residences were searched during agency`s operation on Saturday.
They claimed the sleuths recovered Rs 98 lakh cash from the bedroom of the businessman.
The CBI is trying to ascertain whether the businessman acted as mediator between Tejinder Singh and Ravinder Rishi for felicitating any money transaction, they said.
CBI sources said although preliminary inquiry gave substantial prima-facie evidence of links between Singh, Rishi and the businessman but the actual relations shared by the trio would be established during the questioning and further investigations.
Singh did not respond to SMS sent seeking his reaction.
Gen (Retd) V K Singh had alleged that Tejinder Singh
offered him a bribe of Rs 14 crore in his office in September 2010 to clear the purchase of tranche of 1,676 substandard Tatra BEML trucks, a matter he had reported to Defence Minister AK Antony.
After getting a formal complaint from the former Army Chief, CBI had initiated a preliminary enquiry in April.
Tejinder Singh had refuted the allegations and also slapped a defamation case against Gen Singh.
During the preliminary enquiry, CBI took into account the Record of Discussion in which an Army Chief records important decisions taken, details of meetings, discussions taken place or instructions issued during the day.
The agency also recorded the statement of receptionist at the office of Army Chief V K Singh and statements of other army officers before filing a regular case in this regard.
The CBI has named Singh as prime accused in the case registered under section 12 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Rishi is already an accused in connection with a separate case relating to irregularities in the supply of Tatra BEML trucks to the army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM