Tejpal case: Police probe into Lekhi Twitter leak begins
Panaji: Goa Police have started a preliminary investigation against Bharatiya Janata Party spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi, accused of leaking the Tejpal rape case victim`s name on her Twitter handle.
However, the complainant, who is a city lawyer, claims the police in the BJP-ruled state are playing foul.
The Cyber Cell division of the state police last week formally sent a request to Sunil Kawthankar, a city lawyer who in a complaint demanded Lekhi be booked under Section 228 A of the Indian Penal Code.
"You are requested to present a screenshot copy and URL of the twits (tweets) made by Minakshi Latika if available else you are kindly requested to make yourself available for identifying the tweets (twits) and URL which is essential for further action," a letter written by Cyber Cell Police Inspector Rajesh Job read.
The letter sent Dec 10, was received by Kawthankar Saturday.
Kawthankar said he was glad the preliminary police probe had started, but added he suspected police were not serious in their investigation against a senior BJP functionary.
"My complaint submitted Dec 2 clearly names Meenakshi Lekhi. And the police are calling her Minakshi Latika in the request letter. If they cannot even get a name right, how will they locate Lekhi on Twitter and investigate her," Kawthankar claimed.
He also said he would take up the matter with the director general of police Monday.
The National Commission of Women had already summoned Lekhi for her alleged tweet where she named the victim who has accused Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal of alleged rape.
Lekhi has rejected the allegations claiming her Twitter handle had been misused and called the allegations against her a "politically motivated campaign".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?