Tejpal sexual assault case: Shoma defending wrong person, says Goa Women Commission
Vasco: Goa Women Commission Chairperson Vidya Seth on Sunday came out in full support of the victim in Tarun Tejpal sexual assault case and criticised the role of Tehelka`s managing editor Shoma Choudhury in the case.
"Shoma Choudhury is changing her statement each and every time. This is not a correct. She should support the victim. Is spite of all this, everyday she is always supporting Mr Tejpal," Seth said.
She further said: "The Goa Women`s Commission will definitely support the victim, if she comes forward and tells everything, whatever she has suffered regarding the assault, attempt to rape or if he was assaulting her previously also."
"Such things shouldn`t happen and the police should take appropriate action on the issue. They should punish him. Firstly, he should be placed behind the bars. After that the investigation can take place," she said.
"In my personal opinion, he should be arrested and then brought back to Goa," she added.
Goa Police on Saturday said that Tejpal could be arrested soon in connection with a sexual harassment case.
Police said that Tejpal`s letter of apology emailed to the young woman journalist, whom he allegedly sexually assaulted, had provided them with new evidence.
Choudhury had earlier disagreed with the suggestion or allegation that she was avoiding going to the police to depose on the matter.
While initially maintaining that it was not her place to go to the police, and that it was the young woman`s journalist`s right to decide how to proceed on the case, Choudhury said: "The information to the media is wrong. I have sent a mail to the police. There is a lot of wrong information that is floating around. I cannot possibly be giving any evidence. I am cooperating with the Delhi Police."
Tejpal has suggested that the young journalist`s version of events is not entirely accurate.
But in an email to her sent on Tuesday, he admitted to a "shameful lapse of judgement that led me to attempt a sexual liaison with you on two occasions on 7 November and 8 November 2013, despite your clear reluctance that you did not want such attention from me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Shaktikanta Das attending Saarc FMs meet, instead of Jaitley: Official
- Teenagers who feel safe at school get higher grades
- Bodoland groups to relaunch statehood agitation next week
- Claudio Bravo joins Manchester City as Joe Hart`s replacement
- Flood situation remains grim in Bihar, eases in Madhya Pradesh