Tejpal sexual assault case: Shoma defending wrong person, says Goa Women Commission
Vasco: Goa Women Commission Chairperson Vidya Seth on Sunday came out in full support of the victim in Tarun Tejpal sexual assault case and criticised the role of Tehelka`s managing editor Shoma Choudhury in the case.
"Shoma Choudhury is changing her statement each and every time. This is not a correct. She should support the victim. Is spite of all this, everyday she is always supporting Mr Tejpal," Seth said.
She further said: "The Goa Women`s Commission will definitely support the victim, if she comes forward and tells everything, whatever she has suffered regarding the assault, attempt to rape or if he was assaulting her previously also."
"Such things shouldn`t happen and the police should take appropriate action on the issue. They should punish him. Firstly, he should be placed behind the bars. After that the investigation can take place," she said.
"In my personal opinion, he should be arrested and then brought back to Goa," she added.
Goa Police on Saturday said that Tejpal could be arrested soon in connection with a sexual harassment case.
Police said that Tejpal`s letter of apology emailed to the young woman journalist, whom he allegedly sexually assaulted, had provided them with new evidence.
Choudhury had earlier disagreed with the suggestion or allegation that she was avoiding going to the police to depose on the matter.
While initially maintaining that it was not her place to go to the police, and that it was the young woman`s journalist`s right to decide how to proceed on the case, Choudhury said: "The information to the media is wrong. I have sent a mail to the police. There is a lot of wrong information that is floating around. I cannot possibly be giving any evidence. I am cooperating with the Delhi Police."
Tejpal has suggested that the young journalist`s version of events is not entirely accurate.
But in an email to her sent on Tuesday, he admitted to a "shameful lapse of judgement that led me to attempt a sexual liaison with you on two occasions on 7 November and 8 November 2013, despite your clear reluctance that you did not want such attention from me."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February