Tejpal should face criminal trial: Jaitley
New Delhi: BJP leader Arun Jaitley said Friday that some participants in television debates had provided Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal with an escape route after allegations of sexual assault were made against him by a colleague.
Jaitley said suggestions that the victim had the choice of refraining from pursuing a criminal investigation were akin to offering the offender an escape route.
The Bharatiya Janata Party leader, who has also been a lawyer in the Supreme Court, asserted that both a departmental inquiry and the trial must go together.
In a post on Facebook, Jaitley said he had glanced at television debates on the serious charges against Tarun Tejpal.
"Regretfully, some participants provided an escape route for the accused. They argued that the victim has a freedom of choice whether to pursue her complaint before the in-house inquiry or pursue a criminal investigation," he said.
Jaitley said a criminal offence is a crime against a victim and also a crime against society.
"This is precisely why the `state` pursues a criminal action. The public exchequer pays for it. There is a larger public interest in punishing a criminal," he said.
The BJP leader said a departmental or in-house inquiry and a criminal trial complement each other.
"They are not alternatives. Punishing an offender acts as an deterrent in the larger interest of the society," Jaitley said, adding that it was everyone`s duty to encourage victims to depose truly and faithfully.
"Public interest must always prevail over private embarrassment. The `alternative option` theory is an accused-friendly approach," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark