Telangana an election gimmick of Congress: BJP
Kolkata: Terming creation of Telangana as an election gimmick by the Congress before Lok Sabha polls, BJP spokesperson Menakshi Lekhi on Saturday said a state reorganisation committee should be set up to look into justified and unjustified demands of statehood.
"What I have make out of Congress policies is that, before creation of a new state lot of things are needed to be taken care of from population, budget, funding, capital city. Nothing has been done so far. What I feel is that it is an election gimmick before 2013-14 Lok Sabha polls," Lekhi told reporters here.
"If we look into the matter we will see that after 66 years of independence, out of 10 districts in Telangana region seven districts are backward ... If the issues of governance had been addressed properly then it would not have created any problem," said Lekhi.
Taking the note of the demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland by the GJM, Lekhi said, "Even if there is a demand for Gorkhaland, then a state reorganisation commission should be set up, which will look into all the demands of separate statehood."
"And once for all everything would be settled. If a new state is formed then it should justify why it is formed and if a demand is rejected then it would justify why it was rejected," Lekhi said. Lekhi also alleged that the Congress misused the CBI to harass political opponents.
"I have a feeling toward the central government which is a trust deficit. Had the trust been there I wouldn`t have any problem."
"The manner in which CBI has been misused so as an institution, CBI has become a Congress Bureau of Investigation. As an institution, it has its integrity. But the way people are controlling it, I have an issue with that," said Lekhi.
We need to re-look, but then the dismantling or change in CBI structure could be better preserved, she said, adding that it would be better if the government, which was controlling the agency, was changed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion