Telangana Bill: Arun Jaitley questions adjournment of Rajya Sabha
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said on Wednesday that the adjournment of the House had come as a surprise.
Jaitley wrote on his official site - “The sudden adjournment of the Rajya Sabha at 5 pm came to me as a surprise. I was given to understand that the House may sit late today and discuss ‘The Andhra Pradesh Bifurcation Bill 2014’.”
He also clarified his party`s stand on the bifurcation of the state of AP. “The BJP stands committed to the twin principle of creation of Telangana and Justice for Seemandra. Our effort in this regard shall continue tomorrow.”
“The entire opposition has insisted that the debate can take place only and only when the proceedings of the House are live telecast. People have a right to know what their representatives are speaking,” he further said.
The Telangana Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday with the BJP supporting the bill. However, the proceedings were not telecast live. Speaker Meira Kumar said that it was due to a technical glitch. However, the Opposition cried foul and said that the government had taken a decision not to telecast the proceedings. The bill was passed amidst din and pandemonium and with only voice vote.
The Rajya Sabha could not take up the bill for formation of Telangana today in absence on consensus over amendments in the legislation even as Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Reddy resigned and the state seemed headed for President`s rule.
Even as YS Chowdhary and CM Ramesh of the Telugu Desam Party and KVP Ramachandra Rao of the Congress stood near the chairman`s podium with posters demanding "united Andhra Pradesh" and "Save Andhra Pradesh", the House passed four bills in a row, after an agreement among parties.
Ugly scenes were witnessed when Ramesh tried to snatch some papers from Secretary General Shumsher H Sheriff. He apologised for his behaviour later.
While the bill for Telangana was expected next, the house was suddenly adjourned for half an hour around 4.30 pm.
When the house met again at 5 pm, Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien said passing four bills was enough work for a day and adjourned the House till Thursday.
Telangana is to be the 29th state of India.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says