Telangana Bill: Arun Jaitley questions adjournment of Rajya Sabha
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader and Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said on Wednesday that the adjournment of the House had come as a surprise.
Jaitley wrote on his official site - “The sudden adjournment of the Rajya Sabha at 5 pm came to me as a surprise. I was given to understand that the House may sit late today and discuss ‘The Andhra Pradesh Bifurcation Bill 2014’.”
He also clarified his party`s stand on the bifurcation of the state of AP. “The BJP stands committed to the twin principle of creation of Telangana and Justice for Seemandra. Our effort in this regard shall continue tomorrow.”
“The entire opposition has insisted that the debate can take place only and only when the proceedings of the House are live telecast. People have a right to know what their representatives are speaking,” he further said.
The Telangana Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha yesterday with the BJP supporting the bill. However, the proceedings were not telecast live. Speaker Meira Kumar said that it was due to a technical glitch. However, the Opposition cried foul and said that the government had taken a decision not to telecast the proceedings. The bill was passed amidst din and pandemonium and with only voice vote.
The Rajya Sabha could not take up the bill for formation of Telangana today in absence on consensus over amendments in the legislation even as Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Reddy resigned and the state seemed headed for President`s rule.
Even as YS Chowdhary and CM Ramesh of the Telugu Desam Party and KVP Ramachandra Rao of the Congress stood near the chairman`s podium with posters demanding "united Andhra Pradesh" and "Save Andhra Pradesh", the House passed four bills in a row, after an agreement among parties.
Ugly scenes were witnessed when Ramesh tried to snatch some papers from Secretary General Shumsher H Sheriff. He apologised for his behaviour later.
While the bill for Telangana was expected next, the house was suddenly adjourned for half an hour around 4.30 pm.
When the house met again at 5 pm, Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien said passing four bills was enough work for a day and adjourned the House till Thursday.
Telangana is to be the 29th state of India.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks