Telangana: Congress leaders meet Azad
New Delhi: After tendering their
resignation, Congress ministers, MPs and MLAs from Telangana
region in Andhra Pradesh on Tuesday met senior party leader Ghulam
Nabi Azad and explained as to why they had put in their papers
and also agreed to participate in discussions on the issue.
Senior minister K Jana Reddy told reporters after the
meeting that they will continue to discuss the issue of
formation of a separate Telangana state with the high command.
"We will continue to be part of the discussions. We
explained to Azad the conditions under which we put in our
papers," Reddy said.
He said the ministers will hold another round of
consultation with Azad in the afternoon and the high command
will continue to hold discussion with them on the issue.
Besides Reddy, Ponnala Laxmaiah and Basavaraj Saraiah
also met Azad. They reached here from Hyderabad last night.
Two MPs - Madhu Goud Yashki and Ponnam Prabhakar - and
one MLA and one MLC also met Azad, the party general secretary
Sources said the ministers and the MPs are trying to
get an appointment with Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
The ministers, MPs, MLAs and MLCs had resigned from
their posts yesterday to mount pressure on the Centre and
Congress to take an early decision on the contentious
Lawmakers have not commented on taking back the
resignation. They have been maintaining that the people of
Telangana feel that only a separate state could fulfill their
aspirations and that resignation will be the right way to
Home Minister P Chidambaram had said yesterday that the
Centre is yet to take a final decision on the issue and that
it will try to expedite the consultation process.
The Congress has also asked its lawmakers to wait till
the consultation process is over, but they want an early
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'