Telangana delicate issue; each step after consultations: Cong
New Delhi: With the Telangana issue igniting
passions in Andhra Pradesh, Congress today said that it was a
very delicate matter and that each step has to be taken after
"It is a very delicate matter in which each step has to be
taken after consultations," party spokesperson Jayanthi
Natarajan told reporters here replying to a volley of
questions on the stand of the party and the way forward on the
On whether the issue was badly handled, she said, "No".
She added that the issue was there for the last 45-50 years.
Natarajan denied that there was a reversal in the stand
of the party but said there has been a change of stand for all
To a query about the resignation of ministers from the
Telangana region and the problems in running the government,
she said, "We will deal with it. All issues can be solved
On a question about BJP`s criticism on handling of the
issue, Natarajan said the party did not take the criticism
of BJP seriously as it has also changed its stand on the
Congress sources, meanwhile, denied setting into motion
any process for creation of the second States Reorganisation
Commission, saying though the CWC had passed a resolution to
this effect, there was no consensus on it.
A senior party leader said in the 2004 manifesto of the
party, Congress had talked about the second SRC and consensus.
"When elections were held in 2004, it was a UPA
government and not a Congress government. As there was no
consensus, the issue of second SRC was not taken up," the
"We have no objection to Telangana. We are maintaining
the stand. Wide ranging consultations are required," the
leader pointed out.
Asked whether the party was for united Andhra Pradesh, he
said, the people of the state would decide and described
consultations and building a consensus as very important on
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know