Telangana issue: SC advances date of hearing
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today advanced
to February 22 the hearing of a writ petition challenging the
announcement made by the Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on
December 9, 2009 relating to Telangana state.
A Bench comprising of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and
Justices R M Lodha and Deepak Verma posted the matter for
February 22 on the plea of Bondada Purushottam Yadav, a
practising advocate from Andhra Pradesh, that the matter be
The petition was initially listed for March 29.
In a brief hearing, Yadav argued that such statements
creates rifts among the communities having stakes in the
matter and are inimical to the national interests.
The apex court had earlier dismissed a PIL filed by a
former Member of Parliament M Narayan Reddy seeking a
direction to the Andhra Pradesh Assembly Speaker to accept the
resignation submitted by 139 MLAs on the Telangana issue.
Chidambaram`s statement that a mechanism for forming the
new state was being put in place by the government had been
followed by several days of strikes and demonstration
throughout Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH