Telangana JAC on the verge of split
Hyderabad: The all-party Joint Action Committee (JAC) heading the movement for separate statehood to Telangana is on the verge of a split with Congress MPs and legislators refusing to quit to protest the terms of reference of the Srikrishna committee set up by New Delhi to study the demand.
Congress leaders from Telangana, who met here Monday night, alleged that the JAC was acting at the behest of Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) chief K Chandrasekhara Rao and decided to chalk out their own course of action on the issue.
Congress MP Ponnam Prabhakar advised JAC convenor M Kodandaram, a former professor, not to work like a "postman" of the TRS and take into consideration the views of all parties before taking a decision.
JAC had asked all elected representatives of Telangana to quit by Monday evening, failing which a series of protests would be launched against them culminating in their social boycott from February 19.
Prabhakar reacted sharply to the protests being held outside the homes of party legislators and MPs. "If they continue to lay siege to our houses, it will have serious consequences," he warned.
Only two of 50 Congress legislators from Telangana have submitted their resignations to the Assembly Speaker, who has not yet accepted them. The Speaker, however, accepted the resignations of all 10 TRS legislators as well as one each of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). One legislator of the Praja Rajyam Party has also submitted his resignation.
Both TRS MPs, including Chandrasekhara Rao, have also decided to resign.
All 39 TDP legislators have decided to submit their resignations to Kodandaram to put pressure on him to get the resignations of Congress legislators. However, Kodandaram has asked TDP leaders to submit their papers to the Speaker.
There are 119 legislators from Telangana in the 294-member Andhra Pradesh Assembly while the region accounts for 17 out of 42 MPs from the state.
Ignoring the JAC deadline, the Congress leaders said they would not resign and instead decided to write a letter to party president Sonia Gandhi to revise the terms of reference of Srikrishna committee and reduce its term to six months.
"We will inform her that it has become difficult for us to go to our own constituencies and request her to respect the sentiments of Telangana people," said Congress legislator Bhikshmaiah Goud.
Central leaders of the Congress, Ahmed Patel and Veerappa Moily, have summoned the two legislators who have submitted their resignations to New Delhi, sources said. The central leaders may ask them to withdraw their resignations.
The JAC has rejected the terms of reference of Srikrishna panel as they include considering the demand for maintaining Andhra Pradesh in its present form. It argues that the guidelines violate December 9 statement of the centre to initiate the process for formation of Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM