Telangana MPs meet Jaipal Reddy; ask him to resign
New Delhi: A group of Congress MPs from
Telangana on Sunday met Petroleum Minister S Jaipal Reddy and
urged him to join their fight for a separate Telangana state
by resigning from the Lok Sabha.
The MPs, including K Keshav Rao, G Vivekanand, Ponnam
Prabhakar and K Sukhinder Reddy, met Reddy at his residence
after their arrival from Hyderabad and apprised him of their
collective decision to quit their MP post to step up pressure
on the Congress High Command to take a decision on the issue.
"We met Jaipal Reddy as he is the senior most
Parliamentarian from the state. We urged him to resign his
MP post and join our fight for a separate Telangana,"
Prabhakar, the Karimnagar MP, said after the meeting.
Asked what was Reddy`s response to their demand, he
said: "He is thinking. We told him our demand."
Nine MPs, including Rao, have threatened to tender
their resignation to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar tomorrow.
Rao, a Rajya Sabha member, will meet Chairman Hamid Ansari and
sumbit his resignation.
The MPs claimed Reddy assured them that he would talk
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia
Gandhi regarding the separate state issue.
"Due to delay in the process of formation of a
Telangana state, the people of the region are in a state of
deep anguish," the MPs said in a statement here yesterday.
They said despite the Centre`s statement on December
9, 2009 that steps would be initiated to form a separate
Telangana state, the process was stalled by lawmakers from
Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra regions in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says