Telangana row: Congress expels six MPs from Andhra Pradesh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday expelled its six MPs for opposing formation of Telangana and issuing a notice of no-confidence motion against the government in Parliament.
The Parliamentarians from Andhra who were expelled are S Hari, GV Harsha Kumar, V Arun Kumar, L Rajagopal, R Sambasiva Rao and A Sai Pratap.
"Congress president Sonia Gandhi has approved the decision of the disciplinary committee of the AICC to expel the six MPs from Andhra Pradesh with immediate effect," said AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi in a press release.
In December last, the above mentioned six Congress MPs from Seemandhra region had given a notice for moving no-confidence motion against the Manmohan Singh government.
Contrary to earlier expectations, the Telangana bill will now be introduced in Lok Sabha first instead of Rajya Sabha with the government seeking a fresh recommendation from the President after the Upper House secretariat held it is a money bill.
Sources said the move comes after questions were raised over the constitutionality of introducing the bill first in the Upper House.
Home Ministry officials said the plan to table the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill in Rajya Sabha has been reviewed and a fresh recommendation of President Pranab Mukherjee has been sought for the legislation`s introduction in Lok Sabha.
"It will be introduced in Lok Sabha first for which President`s recommendation is being sought," a senior Home Ministry official told PTI.
The President yesterday gave his nod for bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh by approving the legislation.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi