Telangana: Srikrishna panel gives 6 options
New Delhi: The Justice Srikrishna Committee is understood to have recommended six options to deal with the
Telangana statehood demand on which the government may take a
call in about six weeks.
Sources also said the government would like to take a
decision on the recommendations of the panel possibly before
the Budget Session of Parliament starting February-end.
In its recommendations, the Srikrishna Committee is believed not to have equivocally recommended any particular
option but gave views -- both for and against along with the
historical background -- in each of the six options.
The suggestions of the panel include keeping Andhra
Pradesh in the present form, a separate Telangana state and
making Hyderabad a Union Territory.
Sources said an extensive examination of socio-economic
parameters in all regions of the state led the Committee to
conclude that there is no material basis for treating only the
Telangana districts as "backward".
The Committee was constituted by the Centre on February 3
to look into the demands for the creation of a separate state
as well as keeping Andhra Pradesh united.
The panel submitted the two-volume report on December 30
to Home Minister P Chidambaram.
The Home Minister has convened a meeting of all eight
political parties of Andhra Pradesh here tomorrow to share the
report. However, TRS, BJP and Telugu Desam have announced
boycott of the meeting on Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note