New Delhi: The one-man committee headed by retired Supreme Court judge Justice Shivraj V Patil, which was appointed by the Telecom Ministry to look into the lapses in the allocation of 2G spectrum, submitted its report on Monday.
Justice Patil submitted the report to Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal and said he has identified individuals guilty of malpractice in the 2G scam.
The panel was set up on December 13 last year to look into the spectrum allocation procedures and policies during 2001-2009, a period that includes the NDA regime.
The government auditor CAG had earlier alleged that several operators had suppressed information while applying in 2007 to bag licences and 2G spectrum from former telecom minister A Raja.
The CAG has quantified revenue loss at a whopping presumptive Rs 1.76 lakh crore due to the 2G spectrum scam.
Justice Patil told a press conference that in the report, which stuck to its terms of reference and mandate, he had suggested remedial measure with regard to the licensing policies and procedures.
Concerning the guilty identified in the report, Justice Patil said he could not produce supporting documents as they were with the CBI, which is also probing the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
Justice Patil also said that his report mainly dealt with the appropriateness of procedures adopted by the Department of Telecom (DoT).
Sibal on his part lauded the panel chief for completing the probe at breakneck speed and said the report was prepared fearlessly.
Sibal had earlier said that any action against erring telecom companies would be taken after the committee submitted its report.
During 2001-04, the BJP-led NDA government was at the Centre. Former telecom minister A Raja had been saying that he only followed the policies of his predecessors. Raja was forced to resign last year in the wake of CAG report that put the revenue loss to the exchequer at Rs 1.76 lakh crore for distributing licences in 2008 at 2001 prices.