Telecom scam: SC grants bail to Sukh Ram, aides
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday granted an interim bail till January 16 to former Union Minister Sukh Ram convicted in 1993 telecom scam case.
The apex court bench headed by Justice P Sathasivam also granted bail to veteran politician`s co-accused former bureaucrat Runu Ghosh and Hyderabad-based businessman P Rama Rao.
The apex court ruling is a major relief for Sukh Ram, who had been sent to jail to serve a three-year term in connection with a telecom scam in 1993.
All the three were convicted by the Supreme Court on January 5.
Sukh Ram initially evaded surrendering on health grounds saying he is hospitalised but two days after he appeared in the trial court, he was sent to jail.
Earlier on December 21 last year, the high court had upheld the lower court`s 2002 judgement holding Sukh Ram, Ghosh and Rao guilty of being part of a criminal conspiracy to defraud the state exchequer by awarding a telecom equipment supply contract to Hyderabad`s Advanced Radio Masts which had supplied inferior goods at a higher rate to the DoT.
Sukh Ram was telecom minister between January 18, 1993 and May 16, 1996, in the Narasimha Rao government.
The CBI had filed the charge sheet in March 1997, accusing Sukh Ram and Ghosh of entering into a criminal conspiracy with Rao.
Subsequent to the registration of various cases, the CBI, in 1996, had seized Rs 3.6 crore in cash which was concealed in bags and suitcases from Sukh Ram`s residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion