Telecom scam: Sukhram`s appeal referred to HC Div Bench
New Delhi: The fate of former Union Communications Minister Sukhram in a telecom scam case remained undecided as a single judge Bench of the Delhi High Court on Friday referred his appeal against the conviction and three years jail term to a Division Bench.
Justice S Muralidhar in his judgement said that the case
has to be referred to the Division Bench as several legal
issues are involved in it.
"There are certain legal issues which I have framed in
this case and it should be decided by a division Bench,"
Justice Murlidhar said while referring the matter in which two
others were convicted by the trial court in 2002 to a larger
Sukhram was convicted and sentenced to three years
imprisonment for indulging in telecom scam causing loss of Rs
1.68 crore to the public exchequer during the regime of former
Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao.
He was convicted in July 2002 along with former Deputy
Director General in the Department of Telecom (DoT) Runu Ghosh
and managing director of the private firm M/S Advanced Radio
Ltd, P Ramarao.
A Special CBI Court had sentenced Sukhram to three years
imprisonment and also imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on finding
him guilty for being part of the criminal conspiracy under
Indian Penal Code to defraud the exchequer by awarding the
contract to M/S ARM of Bangalore which had supplied inferior
equipment at a higher rate.
Sukhram was also convicted for the substantive offence
under the Prevention of Corruption Act (PCA) and was sentenced
to three years rigorous imprisonment with a fine of Rs 1 lakh.
The trial court which had said that sentences would run
concurrently, had granted bail to Sukhram, who had challenged
the judgement in the High Court.
Ghosh was sentenced to two years imprisonment with a fine
of Rs 50,000 for her offence to be part of the criminal
Ramarao was sentenced to three years rigorous
imprisonment and a fine of Rs 2 lakh.
All the accused were allowed to appeal against the
verdict and were granted bail subject to their furnishing a
bail bond of Rs 1 lakh with a surety each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note