Telephone exchange purchase case: BRO officials chargesheeted
Shimla: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has filed chargesheet against Brigadier J K Narang and Lt Col Chanchal Jhamb of Border Roads Organisation (BRO) for procuring telephone exchanges allegedly at highly exorbitant prices from a company in 2009, an official spokesman said.
The chargesheet was filed before the court of special CBI judge P S Rana on Tuesday, CBI superintendent of police R Upasak said.
The two BRO officials were posted in Deepak Project of GREF at Shimla when the procurement was made four years ago.
The case against Brigadier Narang, who was posted here as chief engineer, Lt. Col. Jhamb and functionaries of New Delhi-based Siemens Enterprises Communication Pvt. Ltd. Was registered in February last year.
During investigations, the CBI found that losses to the tune of Rs 61.69 lakh were caused to the government exchequer in procuring 14 telephone exchanges worth Rs 1.25 crore from Siemens Enterprises.
The exchanges were installed at the BRO offices in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
CBI had carried out searches at the residence of Brig. Narang in Noida and allegedly recovered Rs 1.33 lakh in cash, more than Rs 30 lakh in bank accounts, Rs 15 lakh in mutual funds and ornaments worth Rs 5 lakh.
Documents having details of four plots, two flats and a two-storeyed building and two vehicles registered in the name of Narang and his relatives have been detected by the CBI, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery