Telugu actor Navdeep arrested for drunken driving
Hyderabad: Telugu film actor P Navdeep was
today arrested on charges of drunken and rash driving, police
The 35-year-old actor, who was allegedly driving a car in
an inebriated condition, tried to give a slip to police after
spotting a police team checking vehicles for drunken driving
at Banjara Hills area here in the wee hours today, they said,
adding that he was with a friend in the car.
The policemen chased the vehicle and tracked it down some
distance away and arrested the actor.
"The police asked Navdeep to stop his vehicle at the
checking point but he did not stop and tried to speed away by
driving on the wrong side...But, the police chased the vehicle
and nabbed him," West Zone DCP Stephen Raveendra said.
According to a police officer, the actor behaved rudely
with the policemen when he and his friend were being taken in
an auto rickshaw to the police station.
A case has been registered against him under IPC sections
353 (Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from
discharge of his duty) and 332 (Voluntarily causing hurt to
deter public servant from his duty) and also for drunken and
rash driving, police said.
Navadeep, who has acted in 15 Telugu and several Tamil
movies, was produced before a magistrate and later released on
bail, police said.
Later, talking to reporters, the actor admitted that he
was under the influence of alcohol, but it was under
He said he tried to flee as he thought the people asking
him to stop were not policemen.
Navadeep debuted as the male lead in Telugu film `Jai` in
2004. He played Sathya Narayanan in Tamil hit `Arindhum
Ariyamalum` in 2005. He also acted in Telugu films like
`Gowtham SSC`, `Premante Inthe`, `Ready` (denikaina), `Mallika
I Love You` and `Yaagam`.
His Tamil movies include `Aegan`, `Solla Solla Inikkum`
and `A Aa E Ee`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS