Telugu actor Navdeep arrested for drunken driving
Hyderabad: Telugu film actor P Navdeep was
today arrested on charges of drunken and rash driving, police
The 35-year-old actor, who was allegedly driving a car in
an inebriated condition, tried to give a slip to police after
spotting a police team checking vehicles for drunken driving
at Banjara Hills area here in the wee hours today, they said,
adding that he was with a friend in the car.
The policemen chased the vehicle and tracked it down some
distance away and arrested the actor.
"The police asked Navdeep to stop his vehicle at the
checking point but he did not stop and tried to speed away by
driving on the wrong side...But, the police chased the vehicle
and nabbed him," West Zone DCP Stephen Raveendra said.
According to a police officer, the actor behaved rudely
with the policemen when he and his friend were being taken in
an auto rickshaw to the police station.
A case has been registered against him under IPC sections
353 (Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from
discharge of his duty) and 332 (Voluntarily causing hurt to
deter public servant from his duty) and also for drunken and
rash driving, police said.
Navadeep, who has acted in 15 Telugu and several Tamil
movies, was produced before a magistrate and later released on
bail, police said.
Later, talking to reporters, the actor admitted that he
was under the influence of alcohol, but it was under
He said he tried to flee as he thought the people asking
him to stop were not policemen.
Navadeep debuted as the male lead in Telugu film `Jai` in
2004. He played Sathya Narayanan in Tamil hit `Arindhum
Ariyamalum` in 2005. He also acted in Telugu films like
`Gowtham SSC`, `Premante Inthe`, `Ready` (denikaina), `Mallika
I Love You` and `Yaagam`.
His Tamil movies include `Aegan`, `Solla Solla Inikkum`
and `A Aa E Ee`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town