Ten lakh devotees witness Rath Yatra in Puri
Puri: Over ten lakh devotees witnessed the world famous annual Rath Yatra of Lord Jagannath held here on Wednesday with fanfare, religious fervour, enthusiasm and a spirit of camaraderie amid a high alert and tight security in the wake of serial blasts at Bodh Gaya.
Devotees from across the country and abroad descended on the pilgrim town of Puri in Odisha to have a glimpse of the presiding deities of the 12th century shrine.
"The festival was held peacefully in a smooth manner. There was no untoward incident" Director General of Police Prakash Mishra said.
However, a sevayat (servitor), Bhramar Bhoi was seriously injured as one of his feet came under a wheel of Lord Jagannath`s chariot, Nandighosh, officials said.
A tight security net was thrown in the pilgrim city in view of the recent serial blasts at Bodh Gaya with installation of CCTV and spy cameras allover with over 7000 policemen keeping close vigil.
Personnel of Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS), Rapid Action Force (RAF) and sharp shooters were posted at vital points while the Coast Guard kept a vigil on the sea.
Devotees poured into the sea side town since early morning to watch the ceremony and pull the three majestic and colourful chariots on the `bada danda`, the grand avenue.
A host of VIPs including Odisha Governor SC Jamir and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik witnessed the proceedings.
Descending from the Ratna Sinhasana, the bejewelled throne, the three deities were taken out of the temple down the 22 steps known as "baisi Pahacha" through the Lion`s gate in an elaborate royal ritual called "Pahandi" as devotees and sevayats jostled to have a glimpse and touch them.
In a rhythmic style, the deities moved forward step by step to the accompaniment of beating of ghantas and kahalis and blowing of conch shells.
The temple was thrown open to public only on July 8 for "Naba Jaubana Darshan" of the deities as they remained confined in "Anasara Pindi" (recovery chamber) after the grand bath on "Snana purnima" on June 23.
At first Sudarshana, the celestial wheel of Krishna-Vishnu, was taken out and placed in the chariot of Subhadra followed by Balabhadra and finally on lord Jagannath`s.
Ready to carry the deities for their annual nine-day sojourn to the Gundicha temple, about two km away, the three majestic huge wooden chariots draped in layers of red, black, green and yellow cloths waited outside the temple.
The pulling of the chariots by estactic devotees were watched by millions including a host of VVIPs and dignitaries while buildings on both sides of the grand avenue were occupied by thousands of devotees to pay obeisance to the deities and also vying for a glimpse.
Braving the scorching heat till mid-day and later rains in the afternoon, devotees thronged the `Bada Danda` to watch the grand proceedings as security cordons were put in place around each chariot and policemen had a trying time controlling the surging crowd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation