Tendulkar deserves a lot more: Afghan Ambassador to India
New Delhi: As congratulatory messages for Sachin Tendulkar poured in from around the world, Afghanistan`s Ambassador to India, Shaida Abdali on Saturday said the cricketing legend deserved much more than what is being given to him "anywhere" in the world.
"I congratulate him on a very successful career as a cricketer of India. I think he is not only a cricket hero for India but for the entire cricket world, especially for Afghanistan," Abdali told PTI.
Tendulkar, 40, walked into sunset after the Mumbai Test against the West Indies, which ended in less than three days today.
"Our cricket team with which I have a close relationship with, speaks of Tendulkar and MS Dhoni," he said, adding, "many Afghans speak highly of Tendulkar".
Talking about Tendulkar being chosen for the prestigious Bharat Ratna, Abdali said, "he really deserves it".
"I watched his last match, scoring 74....Under pressure, still producing the result that we saw... Deserves a lot more than what is given anywhere in the world. I am glad that India gave him that highest award," he said, praising the batting legend.
"He is an inspiration, I personally like him very much, I have been pursuing his matches since my childhood," Abdali said of Sachin, whose glittering career came to an end today after his 200 Test matches.
"Our cricket team is a big fan of India and they have been asking me to arrange a cricket match with them before the World Cup. I hope i will succeed to fulfil their dream to play with India, which they have in the past, as they like the Indian cricketers very much," Abdali said of the admiration the Afghan team has for Indian cricketers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Football Tourism: PSG will receive $197 million to promote tourism in Qatar
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad