Tendulkar, Rekha get lessons from Pranab
New Delhi: For a change, the master became a pupil.
Sachin Tendulkar, who attended the Rajya Sabha for the first time on the opening day of the Monsoon session on Wednesday got some lessons from President Pranab Mukherjee on the functioning of Parliament.
The batting maestro, accompanied by noted film actress Rekha, called on the President at Rashtrapati Bhavan during which the first citizen briefed them about Parliamentary procedures, Press Secretary Venu Rajamony said after the meeting.
During the meeting, the President, a veteran Parliamentarian, described some salient features of the Indian Constitution and history of India`s Independence, he said.
Tendulkar, who has scored 100 centuries in test cricket and one day internationals, described the interaction as "highly enjoyable and educative" and Rekha termed it as a "blessing".
Tendulkar and Rekha were nominated as Rajya Sabha members on April 26. The 39-year-old cricketer had taken oath on June 4 in Chairman Hamid Ansari`s chamber when Parliament was not in session.
"It is a new experience for me," Tendulkar told reporters after his maiden presence in the Rajya Sabha.
57-year-old Rekha was another head-turner as she entered the House glamorously clad in a cream coloured saree with golden patterns and pink border.Both received warm greetings from of members.
Tendulkar and Rekha attended the Question Hour which was adjourned after obituary references because of uproar over Assam violence and alleged desecration of B R Ambedkar`s statues in Uttar Pradesh.
Later, they attended the Zero Hour which was also adjourned after a few minutes over the same issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says