Tension in Hisar as Jats protest for quotas
Hisar: Tension prevailed in Hisar district of Haryana on Tuesday as tens of thousands of people from the Jat community protested for reservations in government jobs and educational institutions.
Hundreds of Jat community members have been squatting on the Hisar-Rewari railway line here since Monday, blocking the crucial stretch. Various passenger trains had to be cancelled or diverted to alternate routes by the railway authorities.
The Jats were responding to a call by the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti, which is demanding reservations and inclusion in the OBC (other backward classes) category. They had given a 48-hour ultimatum to the Haryana government to meet their demands that expires Tuesday afternoon.
"We have formulated a special committee to decide our further course of action. So far we have not got any satisfactory reply from Haryana government and now we would certainly intensify our campaign," Hawa Singh Sangwan, state president of the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti, said here on Tuesday.
He added: "Though we do not want to harass the public, we are left with no option to make our voice heard. We would block various rail tracks and important national highways in Hisar district. The chief minister said he has forwarded our demand to centre but this is not enough for us."
In the meantime, Haryana police and GRP (government railway police) have deployed heavy forces in this district to tackle any kind of emergency situation.
"We are observing the situation and trying to convince Jat protestors to end their agitation. Police have made sufficient security arrangements and we will not allow anyone to take law into hands," said a Haryana police official here on Tuesday.
Jats, who are the major vote bank in Haryana, have been protesting for reservations. A two-day curfew was imposed in Hisar in September last year, after large scale violence and arson at Mayyar village here by members of the Jat community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened