Tension reduced on Indo-Pak border, but not yet normal: Antony
Kozhikode (Kerala): Tension along the Indo-Pak border had largely reduced but the situation was not yet normal and it will depend on Pakistan`s action, Defence Minister A K Antony on Sunday said.
Asserting that India is "not a war mongering country", he said the normalisation process will take some time and added it depended on mutual confidence building measures and "mainly on the actions of Pakistan".
"Tension along the border has largely reduced in view of the recent telephonic discussions between the defence officials. However, the situation has not yet normalised," he told reporters here.
"I cannot set a time limit for normalisation, but it depends on the approach and actions of Pakistan," Antony said.
Tension along the Line of Control (LoC) had increased between the two countries after the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops on January 8 in the J&K`s Mendhar sector. One of them, Lance Naik Hemraj, was beheaded.
Even now, there are about 42 terror camps along the border and ceasefire violations by Pakistan were more than last year, Antony pointed out.
During winter, a large number of infiltrations take place, going up in summer, he said.
He said the defence forces are doing a commendable job on the border and always keeping vigil.
"India is not a war mongering country. Our defence forces are very alert, ready to protect our borders and provide national security," he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says