Terror suspect murder: Two accused get 14-day poli
Pune: A magistrate`s court on Tuesday gave 14-day police custody to two accused in connection with the murder of alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative Mohammad Qateel Siddiqui in high-security Yerwada jail.
Qateel was found strangulated in his cell in Yerawada Central Prison on Friday morning. A complaint filed by the jail authorities named two inmates, Sharad Mohol and Alok Bhalerao, as the culprits.
Arguing for the custody, Public prosecutor M G Pole said police have to find out the motive behind the killing and also probe involvement, if any, of more inmates in the crime.
While opposing the custody, defence counsel N D Pawar said there were many loopholes in the police version.
"It has to be proved why other inmates took so long to inform jail authorities about the murder and there is no eyewitness to it. The duo are being falsely implicated in the case," he said.
On the mandate of Maharashtra Crime Investigation Department (CID) regarding the crime, Pawar said the initial investigations will have to be conducted by the local police and the court can decide on giving permission to CID after the police submitted the investigation report.
"At present, CID will have to assist the city police in investigation," he argued.
Maharashtra government had asked CID to probe Siddiqui`s murder.
Mohol and Bhalerao are facing charges under stringent MCOCA.
26-year-old Siddiqui, an alleged operative of Indian Mujahideen, was in judicial custody at Yerawada in a case filed by Maharashtra ATS in which he was accused of attempting to plant a bomb at the famous Dagdusheth Halwai Ganpati Temple in Pune in 2010. He had been named in other terror-related cases too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister