Terror suspect released on bail
Bangalore: A terror suspect, who allegedly conspired to kill prominent politicians and journalists in three states, was released on Tuesday night after a special court granted statutory bail since the NIA failed to file chargesheet against him.
"Ejaz Ahmed Mirza, working in DRDO as scientist, was released from Parapanaagrahara Central Prison here around 9 pm after the NIA court here granted statutory bail since the NIA failed to file chargesheet against him," Mohammed Sultan Beary, advocate representing the accused, said.
The court on February 28 had ordered his release upon furnishing of two sureties for Rs 25,000 each and directed Mirza to surrender his passport.
However, the court yesterday directed Mirza`s parents to furnish proper documents relating to sureties after it expressed dissatisfaction over them.
Other two terror suspects -- journalist Muthi-Ur-Rehman Siddiqui and Yusuf Nalband -- were released after the NIA court ordered their release on February 26. The court had observed that there was no prosecutable evidence against them.
So far, 15 people have been arrested in the case while the remaining 10 accused are absconding. Siddiqui and Nalband were among those arrested in August last year.
In its chargesheet filed in the special NIA court here on February 20 against 12 of the 15 people, the National Investigation Agency had alleged that the accused had hatched a conspiracy to commit terror acts in the country by a LeT supported terror network based abroad and their associates in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra.
The NIA, which took over investigation in November last year, had stated that charges against Siddiqui and Nalband were being dropped for lack of evidence.
Mirza said that he was grateful to the Allah and expressed confidence in Indian judiciary. "Mujhe vishwas hain ki Allah aur merey watan ki adaalat doodh kaa doodh aur paani kaa paani karegi aur Inshah Allah aur bhi merey saathiya `gunah` se barkaraar ho jaiyenge (I am confident that the Almighty and the Indian judiciary will absolve all the so-called terror suspects of their charges and the truth will emerge)," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference