Terror was not discussed with Pak PM: Khurshid
Jaipur: Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf was Saturday hosted for lunch by Indian External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid here, but there were no official talks between the two sides.
"It was a private visit (of the Pakistani prime minister). It was not an occasion for talks," Khurshid said, addressing reporters at the Rambagh Palace Hotel.
Though he said he did not discuss the issue of terrorism with Ashraf, the external affairs minister said he would take it up at an approprite time in future.
"This was a private visit. It was a pilgrimage (for Ashraf). This was not the occasion nor did I have the authority to discuss such issues," said Khurshid adding: "We have taken up such issues. We will do it in future. We will do it at the appropriate time."
Khurshid hosted Ashraf, who is here on a day-long private visit to the Sufi shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti at Ajmer.
The luncheon meeting was held at the Rambag Palace Hotel.
Earlier, senior Rajasthan government officials received Ashraf at the Jaipur airport. He arrived in a Pakistan Air Force aircraft at around 11.55 a.m. with his family members and a delegation.
His cavalcade drove down to Rambagh Palace Hotel amid tight security.
After meeting Khurshid, Ashraf flew by chopper to the shrine in Ajmer, over 140 km from Jaipur.
"After staying for about 35-40 minutes at the shrine, he would return to Jaipur before flying back," said the official.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made in Ajmer in consultation with the Pakistani security team. At least 2,000 policemen have been deputed in and around the shrine area, and 10 duty magistrates have been deputed to oversee the security.
The official added that the shrine will be vacated minutes before Ashraf`s arrival.
There will be snipers on rooftops in the shrine area and also at the windows of houses lining the main road leading to the shrine. Police will be deputed every 50 fifty metres of the route.
The administration has ordered closure of the shops situated in the area.
Some groups have planned protests during the visit.
The Ajmer Bar Association has demanded that the status of "state guest" given to the Pakistan prime minister be withdrawn.
The association plans to show black flags to Ashraf.
The spiritual head of the Ajmer shrine Dewan Sayed Zainul Abedin Ali Khan has also created a stir by saying that he will boycott Ashraf`s visit to protest the beheading of an Indian soldier at the border.
Pakistani soldiers had Jan 8 intruded into India in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch district, killed two Indian soldiers and beheaded one of them. This led to escalation of tension between the two countries, but the situation eased after a flag meeting between the two sides Jan 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India