Terrorists highly educated, says home secretary
Gurgaon: Home Secretary R.K. Singh Monday said religious fundamentalism was a big threat to the nation and it was increasing among the educated section of society.
Addressing a national seminar on counter-terrorism at the National Security Guard`s (NSG) Manesar base camp here, Singh said many terrorists were highly educated. He said local shelters of terrorists were a big concern for security forces.
He also said that vigilant media sometimes helps terrorists to carry out their plans. He blamed TV channels for live reporting of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
Singh said there was a 20 percent growth in terrorist activities in the country and a 30 percent increase in terror-related fatal casualties. The ethnic population in the northeast was the main cause of terrorism in that region as each such group wanted power.
Addressing experts and top officials of paramilitary forces and the elite Black Cat commandos, Singh said our "neighbour country is the epicentre of terrorism and India is not so lucky as the US and Europeans countries" that do not have terror threats from their neighbours.
NSG`s Director General Arvind Ranjan and former top cops of the force S. Subramaniam and R.K. Medhekar also spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'