Tewari asks SAD to clarify stand on Punjabi farmers in Gujarat
Ludhiana: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Sunday asked the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) in Punjab to clarify its stand on Punjabi farmers in Gujarat who were being "threatened with Godhra-like consequences" if they refused to leave.
In a statement here, Tewari said, the issue was yet to be settled as the Gujarat government was vigorously pursuing its case against Punjabi farmers in the Supreme Court.
The Union Minister pointed out, since there is a BJP government in Gujarat and Akali Dal is in alliance with the them in Punjab, SAD should spell their stand on the issue and explain what it has done to safeguard farmers` interest.
Tewari, who represents the Ludhiana parliamentary constituency, asserted, "I want to ask the SAD, which cries hoarse about guarding the interests of Punjabis and has always been accusing Congress of being anti-Punjab, as why they are maintaining a conniving and criminal silence on the issue".
The Minister said, he had learnt that the "farmers were being warned and threatened that if they did not leave Gujarat, they might meet the same fate as in Godhra in 2002."
Tewari pointed out, this is despite the fact that the Gujarat High Court had ruled in their (farmers`) favour.
Recently, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had said his Gujarat counterpart Narendra Modi had assured that there was no question of farmers being forced to return to Punjab.
Several farmers from Punjab and Haryana who shifted to Gujarat had feared that they would displaced from the state. An order was issued by the local Collector in 2010 for freezing farm land of several farmers from Punjab and Haryana.
The affected farmers moved the High Court and got relief from the Court in 2012, but the Gujarat government moved the apex court challenging the relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon