Texas inmate executed for killing Indian in the US
Houston: A 41-year-old man in the US has been executed for killing a convenience store clerk from India during a shooting spree in 2001 that he had said was retaliation for the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Mark Stroman, a Texas death row inmate, shot at least three men he mistook for Arabs in the weeks after the attacks, killing two of them.
He was convicted of killing Vasudev Patel, 49, during the attempted robbery of a convenience store near Dallas in October 2001. He was also charged in the fatal shooting of Waqar Hasan, 46, a Muslim born in Pakistan.
He was executed after the US Supreme Court yesterday rejected a last-minute appeal by one of his victims to save his life.
The lone survivor, Rais Bhuiyan, a native of Bangladesh, had sued to stop the execution, saying his religious beliefs as a Muslim told him to forgive.
Earlier Stroman had said his 2001 Dallas-area shooting rampage was in retaliation for the September 11 terrorist attacks. He had described the attacks as a patriotic response to terrorism.
Stroman blamed the shootings on the loss of a sister in the collapse of one of the World Trade Center towers, although prosecutors said in court documents there`s no firm evidence she ever existed.
"I wanted those Arabs to feel the same sense of vulnerability and uncertainty on American soil much like the mindset of chaos and bedlam that they were already accustomed to in their home country," he said on a website devoted to his case.
Patel, whose death put stroman on a death row, had moved from India to Texas in 1983, and was a naturalised US citizen.
Stroman described his victims as "perched behind the counter here in the Land of Milk and Honey…this foreigner who`s own people had now sought to bring the exact same chaos and bewilderment upon our people and society as they lived in themselves at home and abroad."
But he added he had made a "terrible mistake out of love, grief and anger" and had destroyed his victims` families "out of pure anger and stupidity.
He also said he wanted to spend time with the convict to learn more about why the shootings occurred.
"I`m not the monster the media portrays me," he has said.
Stroman was free on bond for a gun possession arrest during the time of incident.
He had previous convictions for burglary, robbery, theft and credit card abuse, served at least two prison terms and was paroled twice.
Stroman`s lethal injection would be the eighth this year in Texas.
At least eight other inmates in the nation`s busiest death penalty state have execution dates in the coming weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now