Thane: Now get photo ID cards at your doorsteps
Thane:The Thane district administration will soon provide photo identity cards to the voters at their doorsteps.
Thane Collector P Velrasu told reporters here last evening that the district election office had submitted a proposal to the state government last week to set up as many as 200 booths in the district for issuance of photo ID-cards to the voters, who do not presently have one.
The proposal, which is likely to get a nod from the government/election commission, will be an "at door service" in which the voters will get everything including the requisite form, taking out photos, generation of ID card, affixing of holograms and lamination under one roof at the booths, Velrasu said.
He appealed to the voters to make use of the facility and get their ID-cards made, once the programme is launched in the district.
Of the total 70.41 lakh eligible voters in the district`s 24 Assembly segments and four Lok Sabha constituencies, about 60-70 percent of them possesses the photo IDs while efforts are on to issue the same to others, he said.
"We hope to complete the process of issuing photo IDs well before the general elections," the collector said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Jamiat Ulema-e-Pakistan leader Aqeel Anjum narowly escapes assassination attempt
- China's finance minister sees ''Brexit'' heightening uncertainty for markets
- Is Aamir Khan scared of 'Sultan'? Here's what Salman Khan has to say
- Nissan creates GT-R Drone to match the updated 2017 GT-R
- Neighbouring country trying to destabilise India: Rajnath