Thane: Now get photo ID cards at your doorsteps
Thane:The Thane district administration will soon provide photo identity cards to the voters at their doorsteps.
Thane Collector P Velrasu told reporters here last evening that the district election office had submitted a proposal to the state government last week to set up as many as 200 booths in the district for issuance of photo ID-cards to the voters, who do not presently have one.
The proposal, which is likely to get a nod from the government/election commission, will be an "at door service" in which the voters will get everything including the requisite form, taking out photos, generation of ID card, affixing of holograms and lamination under one roof at the booths, Velrasu said.
He appealed to the voters to make use of the facility and get their ID-cards made, once the programme is launched in the district.
Of the total 70.41 lakh eligible voters in the district`s 24 Assembly segments and four Lok Sabha constituencies, about 60-70 percent of them possesses the photo IDs while efforts are on to issue the same to others, he said.
"We hope to complete the process of issuing photo IDs well before the general elections," the collector said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack