Thane: Now get photo ID cards at your doorsteps
Thane:The Thane district administration will soon provide photo identity cards to the voters at their doorsteps.
Thane Collector P Velrasu told reporters here last evening that the district election office had submitted a proposal to the state government last week to set up as many as 200 booths in the district for issuance of photo ID-cards to the voters, who do not presently have one.
The proposal, which is likely to get a nod from the government/election commission, will be an "at door service" in which the voters will get everything including the requisite form, taking out photos, generation of ID card, affixing of holograms and lamination under one roof at the booths, Velrasu said.
He appealed to the voters to make use of the facility and get their ID-cards made, once the programme is launched in the district.
Of the total 70.41 lakh eligible voters in the district`s 24 Assembly segments and four Lok Sabha constituencies, about 60-70 percent of them possesses the photo IDs while efforts are on to issue the same to others, he said.
"We hope to complete the process of issuing photo IDs well before the general elections," the collector said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery