Thane social worker gets world peace award
Thane: Prominent social worker from tribal dominated Jawhar taluka of Thane, Vasudeo Mukne, has been awarded this year`s World Peace award by an NGO.
The award, instituted for exemplary work in the society, was given to Mukne at a function of Peace Meet organised by Raha Pratishthan in Panaji on Thursday.
Mukne has undertaken various projects for the needy including distribution of wheel chairs for disabled, distribution of sweaters and books for tribal students and providing assistance to visually-impaired people in the district.
His effort in organising mass marriages for tribal couples was also appreciated.
Mukne had earlier received several awards for his work, including the Babu Jagjivan Ram National Award 2012, Yeshwantrao Chavan Gaurav Puraskar 2010, Lokmanya Samaj Bhushan Puraskar 2010, and Maharashtra Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH