Thane social worker gets world peace award
Thane: Prominent social worker from tribal dominated Jawhar taluka of Thane, Vasudeo Mukne, has been awarded this year`s World Peace award by an NGO.
The award, instituted for exemplary work in the society, was given to Mukne at a function of Peace Meet organised by Raha Pratishthan in Panaji on Thursday.
Mukne has undertaken various projects for the needy including distribution of wheel chairs for disabled, distribution of sweaters and books for tribal students and providing assistance to visually-impaired people in the district.
His effort in organising mass marriages for tribal couples was also appreciated.
Mukne had earlier received several awards for his work, including the Babu Jagjivan Ram National Award 2012, Yeshwantrao Chavan Gaurav Puraskar 2010, Lokmanya Samaj Bhushan Puraskar 2010, and Maharashtra Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'