Tharoor hopes pending HRD bills will be passed
New Delhi: The government expects that a number of pending legislations pertaining to HRD Ministry will be passed during the upcoming Winter Session of Parliament despite possible opposition from some Congress MPs.
"We have 20 bills pending, 11 on higher education and nine on school education. I don`t think it will be realistic to get all through, but we would certainly want to try and get as many as possible passed in the next couple of sessions," Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor said.
In an interview to CNN-IBN, he said a lot of persuasion will be required to convince Parliamentarians rather than pushing for enactment of the legislations.
He ruled out the possibility of "arm-twisting" to get the MPs, especially from Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, on board on these bills as they fear the reforms will affect institutes patronised by them.
"I am not sure (about) the presumption that an arm- twisting is required, I think there is an act of persuasion (that is) required," he said.
With several bills relating to education pending, Tharoor exuded confidence over the passage of as many of them with M M Pallam Raju heading the ministry.
"I think Pallam Raju can succeed. He is experienced...He has been in Lok Sabha for 23 years and Kapil Sibal has not (been there for as many years). That is important to understand," he said replying to a question.
He said the HRD ministry comprising Raju, him and Jitin Prasada was already "working very much as a team".
Tharoor felt that an "exercise is required to choose which bills can be pushed more quickly and which bills will require further work."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Half-century for world no. 1 Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros
- Congo citizen murder: Strict action needed, says Union Minister VK Singh
- Who stole the cookie? Let the canine siblings solve this mystery! - Watch video
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers
- Jose Mourinho signs Manchester United contract: Reports