Tharoor says `sorry` for cattle class remark
New Delhi: Reacting to the controversy over his "cattle class" remarks, Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor on Thursday night said he was "sorry" for hurting sentiments and that his words had been misunderstood.
Tharoor ran into trouble for a message he posted on the social networking site Twitter in which he said sarcastically in response to a query that he would travel "cattle class out of solidarity with all our holy cows!"
Congress Spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan had termed the phrase as "unacceptable" and said Tharoor was perhaps not conscious of local sensitivities since he was new to Indian politics.
The Minister, who is in Liberia on an official visit, tweeted late night on Thursday that he had, "learned belatedly of fuss over my tweet replying to journo`s query whether I would travel to Kerala in `cattle class`."
He pointed out that the phrase "cattle class" was used in the query, which he just repeated.
"It`s a silly expression but means no disrespect to economy travellers, only to airlines for herding us in like cattle. Many have misunderstood," he tweeted.
He admitted that if the phrase when translated into Malayalam sounded worse, especially if taken out of context. "To those hurt by the belief that my repeating the phrase showed contempt: sorry," said Tharoor.
He also explained that the word "holy cows" was not referring to any individuals. "Holy cows are not individuals but sacrosanct issues or principles that no one dares challenge. Wish critics would look it up."
The Minister said that he had learnt a lesson from the episode. "I now realise I should not assume people will appreciate humour. You should not give those who would willfully distort your words an opportunity to do so."
Besides, Tharoor also mentioned that he had excellent meetings with the Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and other dignitaries. He is the first minister in 38 years to visit the West African nation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark