The NSG men who made the supreme sacrifice during 26/11
Dehradun: It`s been two years since NSG commando Gajender Singh gave up his life fighting terrorists during the 26/11 attacks and now his family is trying to pick up the threads of their lives again.
Singh, a specialist PARA commando of the NSG`s 51 SAG assault unit, was awarded the Ashok Chakra posthumosuly for undertaking the daredevil `heliborne` operation against terrorists in the Jewish residential complex Nariman House.
He is survived by his wife and two school-going children while his mother lives with his brother here.
"It has been two years now that Gajender is not with us. The family has moved on and life is usual again. His wife and my mother are well," Singh`s brother Birendra Singh told a news agency.
"I have seen that solemn remembrances are being organised in Mumbai and other places which are essential to remember and keep alive the memory of martyrs and their contribution to the country. I am happy that my brother`s children are getting their schooling at the Army school here and they have been supported well by all," he said.
Singh`s wife Vinita has moved to Dehradun from their village Ganeshpur after the incident to devote all her time to her children Gaurav (13) and Preeti (11).
Singh, who was on deputation to National Security Guards (NSG) from the Army`s 10 PARA (Special Forces) was considered a "specialist in heliborne operations" and was killed during the operation at Nariman House on November 28 in Mumbai.
Another NSG commando, Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, laid down his life during the same operation at the Taj Hotel and his father reached Mubai today after he cycled from Delhi to the western metropolis in his memory.
The then NSG chief J K Dutt on November 30, 2008 had lauded Singh`s valour and said the "terrorists opened fire on Havildar Gajendra when he was trying to get into the building to nab them. He could have easily come back but continued to advance.
"And because of his extremely gallant action, an opening was created and we came to know from where exactly the miscreants were hiding and firing from. The terrorists had also used hand grenades which exploded apart from the heavy firing and Gajendra laid down his life there," Dutt had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review