There should be `no anxiety` over Chamel Singh issue: Bashir
New Delhi: An investigation has been ordered into the death of Indian prisoner Chamel Singh, after he was allegedly assaulted by staff at a Pakistani jail, Pakistan High Commissioner Salman Bashir said on Thursday, maintaining that there should be "no anxiety" over the issue.
"The Punjab government has taken notice of it and an investigation is in process, that is all that I know that I`m in a position to convey to you and there should be no anxiety on this issue," he told reporters on the sidelines of a business event.
Singh died in mysterious conditions in a Pakistani jail. The preliminary report states that traces of four injuries were found on the body, including a fracture of the right knee, an abrasion of 1.5 cm to 2 cm on the left knee joint, an abrasion over the upper lip and scars on the thigh.
Singh, said to be in his sixties, was declared dead on arrival by doctors at the state-run Jinnah Hospital on January 15.
He was serving a five-year prison term at Kot Lakhpat Jail for alleged involvement in espionage.
Tehseen Khan, a Christian lawyer who recently completed a 42-month sentence for fraud at Kot Lakhpat Jail, claimed Singh died after being beaten by prison staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama
- Google honours legendary singer Mukesh with a doodle on 93rd birth anniversary
- Start Brexit negotiations as soon as possible: Hollande urges Britain
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva